'She has not stopped talking'

HDZ: Disciplinary action against Kosor?

13.02.2013 u 16:50

Bionic
Reading

The chairman of the Court of Honour of the Croatian Democratic Union (HDZ), Tomislav Culjak, said on Wednesday that he expected to receive soon a request for disciplinary action against the party's former president Jadranka Kosor over her public statements which Culjak finds to be in contravention of the views of this strongest opposition party.

"If a request to this effect is submitted today or tomorrow, I will ask the party presidency at its next session to approve the launching of disciplinary proceedings. This means that a week after that a meeting of the Court of Honour should be convened," Culjak said in the parliament describing the pertinent procedure in which it is necessary for the HDZ Court of Honour to get a go-ahead from the party presidency to initiate disciplinary measures against party officials who sit in the party's committees, as is the case with HDZ MP Jadranka Kosor.

Asked by the press about the latest developments surrounding her status in the party, Kosor said later in the day that she believed that the HDZ leadership would do what would be in the best interest of the party.

As for the accusations from some of her party colleagues that her public statements which they found to be contrary to the party's positions could be treated as the reason to expel her from party membership, Kosor told reporters in the parliament that the only motive for her interview with the Globus weekly was her wish to respond to the insinuations and accusations to which she had been exposed for the past months.

"I only spoke about the facts" regarding the HDZ in the past 18 years, Kosor said responding to the claims from the new leadership about the party's departure from the legacy of its founder Franjo Tudjman in the past.

Asked whether she was afraid of being expelled from the HDZ, Kosor replied: "Whatever will be, will be."

Earlier on Wednesday, HDZ president Tomislav Karamarko, who took the helm of the party in the summer of 2012, said that Kosor's statements to the press were not detrimental to the party but to Kosor, given that the party was growing in popularity ahead of local elections.

"She has not stopped talking since she lost the party elections and in the party nobody is banning anyone from doing anything," Karamarko said, denying Kosor's accusations in Globus that Karamarko was forbidding her to speak.