Environment

Croatia checking allegations of Serbian toxic waste disposal

23.07.2013 u 17:12

Bionic
Reading

Croatian Environment Protection Minister Mihael Zmajlovic has said that relevant agencies are checking allegations of the disposal of Serbian toxic waste in Croatia.

We are cooperating with the customs administration and inspection teams in Serbia to check the allegations and dispel fears that Serbian toxic waste might have ended up in Croatia, Zmajlovic said in Zagreb on Tuesday.

The Belgrade-based Kurir tabloid has reported that in the past year and a half great amounts of toxic waste from Serbia had been sent to Greece, Romania and Croatia's Adriatic region, instead to China.

The Croatian environment protection ministry has received information from the Serbian environment protection ministry that an investigation is under way.

"Currently we cannot say whether this waste has ended up in Croatia. The inspection teams are checking the facts," the minister said underscoring that, first, it should be established whether this waste had been disposed of in Croatia.