Kosovo Television reported on Monday afternoon that Serbs in the north of the country had started removing the roadblocks they had set up nearly four months ago to protest against the establishment of Kosovo authorities in the north.
Zubin Potok municipal head Slavisa Ristic said he had agreed with the Kosovo Force (KFOR) peacekeepers on the removal of roadblocks in Jagnjenica, provided that KFOR set up a checkpoint there to control traffic together with Kosovo police.
Serbian media reported that three roadblocks near the Jarinje border crossings had also been removed.
Branko Ninic, head of Kosovo's northernmost municipality, Leposavic, said the removal of the roadblocks at Jarinje facilitated communication with Serbia and ensured free movement for KFOR troops.
Serbia's Minister for Kosovo Goran Bogdanovic welcomed the removal of the roadblocks, saying that without Serbs in Kosovo Serbia could not preserve its sovereignty and integrity, and that without Serbia Serbs could not survive in Kosovo.
KFOR welcomed the opening of roads in the Zubin Potok area, recalling that there had been 12-15 roadblocks in north Kosovo.