As the countdown to Christmas gathers pace, follow our food solutions and you'll sail through all the challenges of the season
1. There's a million things to do and you're already feeling wound-up!
Food solution: Tiredness can exacerbate stress, so eat a power-packed breakfast for a slow release of energy through the day - wholemeal toast or porridge is ideal.
2. You've got a long day of Christmas shopping in town.
Food solution: Pop a few high-fibre snacks in your bag - fresh fruit,
or a slice of wholemeal bread with peanut butter. And before you go,
eat a fortified breakfast cereal to get your daily dose of B vitamins
and folic acid.
3. It's the children's school play - they're over-excited and the play hypes them up even more!
Avoid fizzy drinks and sweets to reduce their intake of artificial
sweeteners, which have been associated with hyperactivity, and put
healthy treats in their lunchbox. Kids often love unusual combinations
- try fruit or veg with dips, satsuma segments with blackcurrant yogurt, carrots and pure fruit jam or celery and peanut butter.
4. With so much to do, you can't sleep.
Food solution: Base evening meals around carbs, such as
pasta (like this Smoked trout & pea pasta) and potatoes, and avoid eating late. Tryptophan-rich foods, such as cauliflower, fish, milk and soya products, will help combat insomnia.